Types Of Identity Theft To Safeguard Against
There are a number of different types of identity theft. All of these can be detrimental to you personally, affecting everything from your credit report to your driving record.
Knowing the different kinds of identity theft can go a long way in helping you to prevent it.
The main Types of ID Theft
- Credit card theft is perhaps the most well-known form of identity theft. When a thief steals your credit card he can use it to purchase almost anything. If only the number of your credit card (as opposed to the card itself) is stolen, the thief will likely use it to purchase items online, since internet shopping is becoming increasingly popular. The best way to prevent credit card theft is simply to keep your card in sight at all times.
- Driver’s license theft happens when someone steals your driver’s license information and fabricates a license for themselves. These thieves tend to commit traffic violations, so you’ll likely find out that your license identity has been stolen when a warrant is issued for your arrest. Keep your license with you at all times and this kind of identity theft is unlikely.
- Social security number theft can wreck havoc on your identity status, since a talented criminal can actually create a whole new identity with it. And these days, SSN theft is relatively easy because people write it on so many documents. A wise practice to get into is refusing to give out your social security number unless the person asking for it has a clearly established reason for needing it. You do not need to write it in on every document that asks.
- Criminal identity theft occurs when a criminal steals your identity for the purpose of pinning crimes he is planning to commit on you. He will use your personal information to fabricate documents and any false information that he needs. The first clue you will likely get that your identity has been stolen by a criminal is unfortunately an arrest.
- Medical identity theft can be one of the most dangerous types of identity theft. Oftentimes, people living high-risk lifestyles do not want to be tested for diseases like AIDS under their own identities. So they steal someone else’s medical identity, get tested, and leave you with a medical record indicating that you are HIV positive! This false information can be cleaned up from your medical records, but it can be difficult to accomplish.
Take Preventative Measures to Avoid Identity Theft
These are the most common types of identity theft. While none of them are pleasant, they are all avoidable if careful preventative measures are taken.
It is important that you learn as much as you can about how to protect yourself from this dangerous game.
Have a Story About Identity Theft?
Do you have a story or advice to share? Do you know of other types of identity theft? Share more details here, to help others.
Go to Top of Types Of Identity Theft page
Go to Identity Theft Protection home
IT Governance Limited Disclosure: Identity-Theft-Scout.com is participating in the IT Governance Limited Affiliate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to their affiliate platform.
Amazon Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Affiliate Disclosures: We are participants in the Iolo Technologies Affiliate program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to their website’s products pages.