Laptop Security Safeguarding Your Portable Data
Having laptop security is a very important way to protect yourself from identity theft. There are several ways that you can protect your laptop and the personal information that it holds.
What You Need From Laptop Security Software
The four main features that you require from Laptop Security Software are as follows:
- The ability to geolocate your stolen laptop
- To be able to remotely retrieve and delete files
- Secretly monitor and control the thief's activity
- Recover the stolen laptop
If you would like to read more about Laptop Security Software click on the graphic to the right.
One of the most important aspects of security for your laptop is having something to stop spyware. The internet browser Mozilla Firefox is very effective at blocking spyware and keeping your laptop secure.
You also want to make sure that you have a good, working firewall. Most operating systems contain a built in firewall, but you should check and make sure that it is up and running. You do not want to leave your computer open to hackers and thieves.
Automatic Operating System Updates
You should also make sure that your operating system automatically updates itself to make sure that you have the most current protection possible.
Good Password Protection
You should also choose a good password. While it can be annoying to type in a long password all the time, laptop security is more important. Don't use passwords that are easy to guess like birthdays, pet's names, or your home town.
Pick something crazy or quirky that you will remember, but that no one would ever guess. The main character from your favorite movie, a personality trait or attribute that may or may not describe you, and the name of a place that is meaningful to you for a very small and simple reason are all ideas that can get you thinking.
The best passwords are longer than 7 or 8 characters and have numbers and special characters included. Spelling words wrong on purpose or making your password a string of random words are both good ways to keep your password secure.
Protecting The Data In Your Laptop Files Is Critical
Your laptop computer does not have to be stolen for you to lose information that can lead to identity theft. This can occur while you are away from your office, for example, while you are at lunch. The time to think about this security issue is before it occurs. If you are a professional with confidential data of clients on your computer using file encryption software can prevent you being sued by clients whose information is stolen.
Safeguarding Your Laptop
While it is important to protect yourself from internet hackers, that is not all that computer security includes. Your identity and personal information can also be stolen by someone who steals your laptop, so there are a few things to keep in mind.
Files with private information should be encrypted so that if a thief were to steal your laptop, your files could not be accessed.
Don't leave your laptop locked in your car or even your trunk unless you have to, because a thief can break in very easily. It's worth it to buy a heavy duty laptop lock that can't be cut through with a pair of pliers.
There is no point in protecting yourself if you are not going to protect yourself well, because today's thieves are high tech and they know what they are doing.
As always, it is important to remember that the best way to protect yourself from the hassle and expense of identity theft is to prevent it entirely.
Having good laptop security and internet security software can go a long way to protecting your personal information from would be thieves.
Have a Great Story or Tips to Share About Laptop Security?
Do you have a great story about security for laptops? Share it!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Go to Top of Laptop Security page
Go to Identity Theft Protection home
IT Governance Limited Disclosure: Identity-Theft-Scout.com is participating in the IT Governance Limited Affiliate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to their affiliate platform.
What Can You Write About?
We are looking for content related to cybercrimes and identity theft. There are tens of possible topics you can pick on these subjects. Moreover, we appreciate innovative issues, critical opinions, and solution-based articles on an area related to our main topics.
In addition to the topics below, if you have anything else related to our line of interest, please let us know, and we will be glad to share with our readers.
Possible Broad Areas
- Laptop hacking
- Internet security
- Data security
- Bring Your Own Device
- Data protection regulations
- Data recovery
- Data loss or DDOS mitigation
- Identity theft recovery … and many more.
Guidelines for Content Contribution
Feel free to send us your submissions or topic ideas through our email address. We strive to respond to every request as fast as we can.
Before working on a topic, please take a look at our guidelines we would like all writers to follow. Please feel free to drop us a line if you do not understand any of the guidelines below or have a suggestion.
- All articles should be at least a 1000 words long. We believe that long articles expound on the topics at hand better than short ones
- Articles should be written in English. And must be written following the steps mentioned here.
- All articles should be original and not copied from the internet even if it is your website. They must pass the Copyscape check before we can publish them.
- The Articles should have useful and quality content, well written and easy to understand
- Headlines written following the guidelines mentioned here.
- The articles should be in an editable format such as .odt, docx or .txt format. Please double space your lines for the ease of reading through
- No offensive or adult language should be employed
- Please, check the article using a spell checker tool (like as Grammarly) before sending the copy to us.
- Please provide a high resolution image for each 250 words (Though, we reserve the right of using the images provided by you). At least 3 images is required for a 1000 words article. The images must be from the free sources (like as Pixabay, Unsplash.com, or Pexels.com). The exact image source link must be provided under each images.
What Will You Get In Return?
- We give full credits for your published work
- If we publish your article, we will give credits to you. Besides, we will write a short bio of you below the article and link to your blog social media pages or website.
We Pay Writers For Exceptional Contributions!
Where a contribution meets our guidelines and is an exceptional idea to help our readers and community we will pay up to AUD50 for the contribution.
Our editorial committee will be the sole judge of what is an exceptional idea. If you have an idea that you wish to pitch to us please use the contact email mentioned in this article.
For the new freelance writers, it is a great chance to earn money online by writing for our website.
This is to encourage you in freelance writing, blogging, and making money online.
How Do You Submit Your Articles?
Take a look at our published work to help generate unique ideas.
Please check and double check that you’ve fulfilled all the criteria.
Then, send the article to us at john[at]identity-theft-scout.com
We get several submissions every day. Therefore it may take time for us to go through each submission. Please bear with us. We promise to respond to each request within a few days
We look forward to publishing your next article.
Amazon Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.