Laptop Security Locks Safeguarding Your Laptop
The easiest way for someone to steal your identity is online or through your PC. Laptop security locks are a good way to protect yourself if you use a laptop, especially if you carry it with you or live in a dorm or apartment area.
Laptop Security Issues
It may be easy to fall into the trap of thinking identity theft occurs through the internet (which is true), but don't forget that hackers have means of obtaining access to the personal information stored on your laptop.
One way they do this is through the use of spyware-software that is secretly installed to collect personal information stored on your computer and can also be used to install other software or change settings on your computer. It can also track your internet habits.
Spyware can be installed if you leave your laptop or PC unattended and it can also be installed via the internet. This type of thing can easily happen on a shared computer or a laptop in a shared space -- another good reason to keep yourself protected with a security lock on your laptop.
Choosing a Security Lock
The average price for most laptop security locks is $20 but can go up to $50. Before you actually purchase a lock, check your laptop to make sure it has a USS (Universal Security Slot).
The cord part of the lock goes around a sturdy, stable object while the lock is inserted into the USS (make sure you hear a click when you push it in).
Some locks utilize combinations-you won't be able to get it out of the USS without the combination. Others use a key. (Don't forget to change the default combination into a personalized one that you will remember.)
What about bolt cutters? So maybe these locks won't keep those types out, but the average casual passerby, visitor in your dorm room, or nosy apartment neighbour will be deterred.
Take Precautions When Travelling
Having a laptop security lock helps as long as you are staying in one place, but what about when you are on the move?
For travel and commuting you can't strap your laptop down, but you can keep it close by your side. Make sure you have a suitable carrying case for your laptop and NEVER let it leave your side.
That way, either at home with your laptop or while you are in transit with it, you have a greatly reduced chance of becoming the victim of identity theft.
Have a Great Story or Tips to Share About Laptop Security Locks ?
Do you have a great story about this? Share it!
Go to Top of Laptop Security Locks page
Go to Laptop Security
IT Governance Limited Disclosure: Identity-Theft-Scout.com is participating in the IT Governance Limited Affiliate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to their affiliate platform.
What Can You Write About?
We are looking for content related to cybercrimes and identity theft. There are tens of possible topics you can pick on these subjects. Moreover, we appreciate innovative issues, critical opinions, and solution-based articles on an area related to our main topics.
In addition to the topics below, if you have anything else related to our line of interest, please let us know, and we will be glad to share with our readers.
Possible Broad Areas
- Laptop hacking
- Internet security
- Data security
- Bring Your Own Device
- Data protection regulations
- Data recovery
- Data loss or DDOS mitigation
- Identity theft recovery … and many more.
Guidelines for Content Contribution
Feel free to send us your submissions or topic ideas through our email address. We strive to respond to every request as fast as we can.
Before working on a topic, please take a look at our guidelines we would like all writers to follow. Please feel free to drop us a line if you do not understand any of the guidelines below or have a suggestion.
- All articles should be at least a 1000 words long. We believe that long articles expound on the topics at hand better than short ones
- Articles should be written in English. And must be written following the steps mentioned here.
- All articles should be original and not copied from the internet even if it is your website. They must pass the Copyscape check before we can publish them.
- The Articles should have useful and quality content, well written and easy to understand
- Headlines written following the guidelines mentioned here.
- The articles should be in an editable format such as .odt, docx or .txt format. Please double space your lines for the ease of reading through
- No offensive or adult language should be employed
- Please, check the article using a spell checker tool (like as Grammarly) before sending the copy to us.
- Please provide a high resolution image for each 250 words (Though, we reserve the right of using the images provided by you). At least 3 images is required for a 1000 words article. The images must be from the free sources (like as Pixabay, Unsplash.com, or Pexels.com). The exact image source link must be provided under each images.
What Will You Get In Return?
- We give full credits for your published work
- If we publish your article, we will give credits to you. Besides, we will write a short bio of you below the article and link to your blog social media pages or website.
We Pay Writers For Exceptional Contributions!
Where a contribution meets our guidelines and is an exceptional idea to help our readers and community we will pay up to AUD50 for the contribution.
Our editorial committee will be the sole judge of what is an exceptional idea. If you have an idea that you wish to pitch to us please use the contact email mentioned in this article.
For the new freelance writers, it is a great chance to earn money online by writing for our website.
This is to encourage you in freelance writing, blogging, and making money online.
How Do You Submit Your Articles?
Take a look at our published work to help generate unique ideas.
Please check and double check that you’ve fulfilled all the criteria.
Then, send the article to us at john[at]identity-theft-scout.com
We get several submissions every day. Therefore it may take time for us to go through each submission. Please bear with us. We promise to respond to each request within a few days
We look forward to publishing your next article.
Amazon Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.