Identity Theft Repair
The Action Steps to Take
Just as important as knowing prevention is knowing steps for identity theft repair, so that you can take immediate action if you think your information has fallen into the wrong hands.
If you think you are a victim of identity theft, don't panic; get working right away to restore your good name. It takes time and effort, but solving identity theft problems is possible.
First, be alert so that you can recognize identity theft right away. If you are following good prevention tactics, such as keeping track of billing cycles and reviewing your credit statements and report, you are in a good position to see identity theft.
If you think your information may have been stolen but not used yet, keep an eye out for accounts opened or purchases made in your name. Watch for inaccurate information on your credit reports, denial of credit, missing bills, and credit cards you didn't apply for.
Reporting the Theft
The next step to identity theft repair is to contact the right people. If the theft involved financial information, call the credit reporting bureau, bank, and credit card company to get a fraud alert on your account and close tampered-with accounts.
Also contact the Federal Trade Commission to file a complaint and get advice.
If the theft involves your Social Security number, call the SSA to check the earnings attributed to your number. If from this call you find that someone is receiving wages under your SSN, contact the IRS Identity Protection Unit to avoid someone else filing your return before you do.
Log on to the Internet Crime Complaint Center to register your complaint there as well. Finally, contact the local police where the theft occurred.
Keep Accurate Records
While all this is going on, keep records. Send a registered letter to follow up calls to banks and credit card companies with a return receipt request. Include copies of related paperwork in your letter, but keep originals yourself.
Keep records of all phone calls and originals of all financial statements that show the fraud. Be able to show each agency why you suspect fraud, and keep proof from each agency showing that you filed the proper complaints.
Identity theft repair is well worth your time and effort. The process may be frustrating at times, but by acting quickly, contacting the proper agencies, and keeping good records, you can get your personal and financial history back on track.
Have a Story or Tips to Share About Identity Theft Repair?
Do you have a great story about this? Share it!
Top of Identity Theft Repair page
Go to Protection Against Identity Theft
IT Governance Limited Disclosure: Identity-Theft-Scout.com is participating in the IT Governance Limited Affiliate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to their affiliate platform.
What Can You Write About?
We are looking for content related to cybercrimes and identity theft. There are tens of possible topics you can pick on these subjects. Moreover, we appreciate innovative issues, critical opinions, and solution-based articles on an area related to our main topics.
In addition to the topics below, if you have anything else related to our line of interest, please let us know, and we will be glad to share with our readers.
Possible Broad Areas
- Laptop hacking
- Internet security
- Data security
- Bring Your Own Device
- Data protection regulations
- Data recovery
- Data loss or DDOS mitigation
- Identity theft recovery … and many more.
Guidelines for Content Contribution
Feel free to send us your submissions or topic ideas through our email address. We strive to respond to every request as fast as we can.
Before working on a topic, please take a look at our guidelines we would like all writers to follow. Please feel free to drop us a line if you do not understand any of the guidelines below or have a suggestion.
- All articles should be at least a 1000 words long. We believe that long articles expound on the topics at hand better than short ones
- Articles should be written in English. And must be written following the steps mentioned here.
- All articles should be original and not copied from the internet even if it is your website. They must pass the Copyscape check before we can publish them.
- The Articles should have useful and quality content, well written and easy to understand
- Headlines written following the guidelines mentioned here.
- The articles should be in an editable format such as .odt, docx or .txt format. Please double space your lines for the ease of reading through
- No offensive or adult language should be employed
- Please, check the article using a spell checker tool (like as Grammarly) before sending the copy to us.
- Please provide a high resolution image for each 250 words (Though, we reserve the right of using the images provided by you). At least 3 images is required for a 1000 words article. The images must be from the free sources (like as Pixabay, Unsplash.com, or Pexels.com). The exact image source link must be provided under each images.
What Will You Get In Return?
- We give full credits for your published work
- If we publish your article, we will give credits to you. Besides, we will write a short bio of you below the article and link to your blog social media pages or website.
We Pay Writers For Exceptional Contributions!
Where a contribution meets our guidelines and is an exceptional idea to help our readers and community we will pay up to AUD50 for the contribution.
Our editorial committee will be the sole judge of what is an exceptional idea. If you have an idea that you wish to pitch to us please use the contact email mentioned in this article.
For the new freelance writers, it is a great chance to earn money online by writing for our website.
This is to encourage you in freelance writing, blogging, and making money online.
How Do You Submit Your Articles?
Take a look at our published work to help generate unique ideas.
Please check and double check that you’ve fulfilled all the criteria.
Then, send the article to us at john[at]identity-theft-scout.com
We get several submissions every day. Therefore it may take time for us to go through each submission. Please bear with us. We promise to respond to each request within a few days
We look forward to publishing your next article.
Amazon Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.